Porter Wright Morris & Arthur, the law firm leading the Trump campaign’s efforts to cast doubt on the presidential election results in Pennsylvania, abruptly withdrew from a federal lawsuit that it filed days earlier on behalf of President Trump.
“Plaintiffs and Porter Wright have reached a mutual agreement that plaintiffs will be best served if Porter Wright withdraws,” the law firm said in a federal court filing.
The firm’s withdrawal followed an article in The New York Times on Monday describing internal tensions at the firm about its work for Mr. Trump’s campaign in Pennsylvania, where the campaign has filed several lawsuits alleging voting irregularities. (The state’s attorney general said recently that here is no evidence of widespread problems.)
Some Porter Wright employees said they were concerned that the firm was being used to undercut the integrity of the electoral process. One of the firm’s lawyer resigned in protest over the summer.
Porter Wright, based in Columbus, Ohio, has received at least $727,000 in fees from the Trump campaign and the Republican National Committee, according to federal election disclosures.
The law firm on Monday filed a lawsuit in the Federal District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania on behalf of the Trump campaign. The suit, which is pending, alleged that there were “irregularities” in the presidential vote across the state, which President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr. won by more than 50,000 votes.
The Democratic National Committee has filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit.